The Director of Planned Giving is responsible for growing Ocean Conservancy’s Planned Giving program – a successful, organizationally-supported revenue stream which raises $2-5 million annually. The Planned Giving department encompasses a dynamic planned giving team of four and enjoys close partnerships across Development, Membership, and Finance.
- Manages a seasoned and dedicated Planned Giving team who collectively is responsible for estate administration, a robust marketing program, donor stewardship, cultivation and solicitation, and the efficiency and success of the program.
- Provides overarching strategic direction to the Planned Giving program and is responsible for its health and growth of its revenue pipeline over the long-term.
- Works closely with the Vice President of Resource Development and the Senior Director of Development to develop annual plans and supporting budgets for the long-term success of Ocean Conservancy’s mission and vision.
- Partners with the Director of Major Gifts to foster a positive and donor-centric experience in all our outreach.
- Excels in core Planned Giving leadership functions such as:
- Development and management of a portfolio of high-level donors and prospects;
- Cultivation and solicitation of qualified donors, in partnership with other senior staff, for transformative giving opportunities;
- Providing guidance and support for complicated estate settlements;
- Introducing strategic opportunities to enhance current stewardship and cultivation models;
- Preparing CEO, senior staff, and board members for planned giving donor engagement opportunities;
- Proactive exploration, support and testing of promising marketing trends;
- Support the Finance department to ensure impeccable accountability of the planned giving program including upholding our technical, legal and fiduciary integrity.
- At least ten years of experience in estate planning and/or high level development experience required. Experience needed in cultivating donors, explaining planned giving options, and soliciting and closing planned gifts.
- At least three years of experience managing a diverse, successful multi-person team, with a track record of creating a positive team culture and helping staff grow in their roles.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully plan, organize, direct and control deferred giving activities that have achieved their goals and objectives.
- Must have excellent communication and be a team player.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Excel and Word.
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge and planned giving software such as PG Calc, a plus.
B.S. / B.A. degree is required.
To be considered for this position, interested candidates must submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and note position title & job number: Director of Planned Giving #20-04 in the subject line.
Ocean Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, handicap, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, or veteran status. Ocean Conservancy is continually seeking to diversify its staff, particularly to broaden opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the sciences and in environmental advocacy.